Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Time Flies!

I haven't posted in a while, and a lot of things have happened since May:

First, Tomas got a TDY in Barbados and I fell in love; in love with the country, in love with the fact that I could drink the tap water, eat the fruit and veggies with out washing them in a bleach solution, completely in love with the peace and quiet and having a pool in my back yard. Now I wouldn't give my left arm to be posted to Barbados for 2 years, it is too expensive and it takes way to much effort to get pets in to the country, but it is a small island with a small crime rate and even better driving! Let me also just say that it is very refreshing to be able to hail a cab, any cab on the street and not have to worry about getting mugged, same goes for taking a bus. For people who don't live in a high crime city you might not understand why this is important, but come to the D.R. where there are so many restrictions and you would jump for joy too!

Second, while we were in Barbados I got hired for the job that I have wanted since moving to Santo Domingo. Human Resources! Yes! Tomas and I went out for a very yummy dinner at a beautiful beach front restaurant. I have been working since the beginning of September and while it is nothing like I am used to, I find that I am enjoying the challenge. I also tutor a 7th grade boy three times a week, so I get to teach still and on my terms.

Third, My parents came to visit at the end of August and it was really great to see them and spend time sightseeing and enjoying each other's company after 6 months of being apart. They really enjoyed it here and thought our house was great. We (Tomas, my parents and I) went away for the weekend to an all inclusive hotel and relaxed by the water and soaked up the sun (or I did).

Fourth, Tomas is the best husband in the world for many reasons, but most recently for this-When my parents were here visiting I took them out for the day, but not before I mentioned to Tomas that I really wanted one of the chihuahua puppies in our embassy newsletter. He had been saying that we had a really good thing going with just having Bailey here and we didn't need another dog, so I got used to the idea that Bailey was it for us (dog wise). Well, Tomas came home after picking Bailey up from the pet hotel she had been staying at while we were away and he also brought in the SMALLEST little tan chihuahua puppy that I have ever seen and he handed him to me. I started crying and he told me that he wanted to surprise me and that this little guy was the last one in the litter.

Cuervo is now 11 weeks old and he is full of energy and he, like Bailey, is named after a liquor (Tomas said that he is tan, and he is a chihuahua and they are from Mexico and he is the color of tequila so he should be named Cuervo). He also, like Bailey, has a personality that can only be described as hilarious! They love each other very much. He is so little, only 2.5 lbs at his last dr. appt, Bailey is small too, but she is 20 lbs of pure muscle.

I can truly say that I love my life, every day I am feeling more and more secure with our decision to live abroad in the FSO lifestyle. Sure there are things that I wish were a little different; I miss my friends, family, seasons and Starbucks, I hate the driving here, its crazy and I won't attempt it, but I am happy, we are healthy and life is good.

2 comments:

  1. So glad to hear life is happy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad to hear it too! And I'm with you on the bleach/tap water/security crap...I will be happy if even one of those things is different for our next post!

    ReplyDelete