Monday, May 3, 2010

6 weeks into our new life!

I has been a whirlwind of activity since moving to the Dominican Republic! I turned 26 and Tomas and Yesenia threw me a surprise birthday party at a beautiful restaurant on the water. I love living here so much and we have only just begun to explore all that the D.R. has to offer. We have made some really great friends already and have gone to wonderful parties. For the first month we lived in temporary housing, the house that we lived in temporarily was HUGE, way too big for us, although I miss the walk in closets a little...Our new and permanent house is equally amazing. It is a lot bigger than our house back home, but not as big as the one that we were staying in here. It is just right for us, and we absolutely love it! Tomas is working really hard and I am enjoying being a stay at home wife. I am thinking of starting my own tutoring service for embassy children, that way I can work from home and make my own hours and get a little spending money. Bailey loves living down here, her hair has gotten shorter and thinner which is great for me because she isn't shedding anymore. She also chases lizards now, Tomas says that she caught one the other day but it got away. I have started working out three times a week with a personal trainer and my lovely friend Yesenia and I am also starting to take Spanish lessons with a tutor and my other lovely friend Gosia. I was told today by the A.C. guys that my Spanish isn't that bad, but I am not ready to go have any deep conversations or anything.

I really miss my family and friends back home, but there is so much to do here it is really easy to not focus on missing people and so I haven't been totally homesick. I have told all of my friends and family that as soon as our house is unpacked we will welcome anyone who wants to come visit. I hate unpacking, Tomas is much faster at it than I am, I prefer the decorating!

Thats all for now, I have more contractors coming and I need to make sure that I keep an ear out for them since they don't ring the doorbell all the time!

Em

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like you're keeping busy! That's good! I too have been too busy to get homesick. I wonder when it will hit. Although I haven't lived by family for almost seven years, so maybe that helps.

    ReplyDelete